Do you study Martial Arts?

Re: Do you study Martial Arts?

Postby the urchin » Fri May 02, 2014 3:10 pm

I dunno mate... I've woken up after a drunken night and simultaneously hit the toilet water and the sink...
A rival is your best friend, he makes you push yourself to your limit and beyond
-Unknown

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others
- Confucius

Veni, vidi, vici
-Caesar
the urchin

Postby sascorp » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:28 pm

ouh, haha
hope it all went well and u recovered quickly :lol:
that's a different story then ^^
sascorp

Postby the urchin » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:07 am

this is why I hate summer...

Every summer, every single summer - the martial arts gyms/dojos are closed, then I read some manga/watch some animoos or a movie or whatever and I get super pumped for some MA training, more than I already am... and I end up here on the forum whining... 4 years in a row...
This time is even worse, because of the university bullshit and the changing of dojo and work I haven't had the opportunity to do more than irregular backyard training with a buddy (that hasn't done martial arts in almost 5 years) for months... I keep busy with some weightlifting, doing more cardio than before since I've gotten a stationarybike so I can watch TV while exercising (just got off the thing)
but I can't do proper martial arts training... and Im getting the shakes... We've (my friend and I) bought some gloves and shinpads so we can do more serious sparring - but it just isn't the same
On a slightly different note, he is the worst (not really) partner for sparring, the dude is super skinny so when he blocks a strike you're being hit by pretty much pure bone, so even though he packs the punch of a five year old, it hurts like a MOFO on the arms... Also, he's a bit of a pussy, roughly said (taking out my frustrations, dont take them too seriously) he's taller than I, so he's got the reach advantage, which means he can get a quick strike in, BUT when he does hit, I just tank through them... If I get hit, Imma hit him back!
and he starts to basically run away, since he never really got past the fear of being hit.
And groundgame he is no challenge, due to the weight, strength and experience difference...
But the worst part, and this has nothing to do with him... I'm getting rusty and I hate it...
Because of the weight training I'm stronger than before, more fit - a bit lighter, but it's more muscle less fat, so the good kind of lighter... and I can feel in my arm that I'm hitting harder, or at least, I SHOULD hit harder, but I feel off, the angles aren't quite right, my stance feels a bit wrong, the kicks feel slightly off balance and thus weaker... then again I have nothing really to punch or kick so it might not be as bad as it is in my head
I need to get
Spoiler! :
the fuck
through the summer, find out if I need to move anywhere BC of university and so on, find a good gym according to where I live (might even join an MMA gym, just because it could be fun, even though I'd rather it be an MMA gym with karate based standup fighting than muay thai, which just isnt possible here, either that or something with more contact than before)
and start kicking ass

As for more contact - I love karate, karate feels good, suitable for me, which I've said before... I also really like goju ryu and even though the "new" dojo I went to is more practical than the other, it's still difficult to find people who like me, want's to take goju ryu and do more contact training, it's not about turning it into a competition or anything, but I'm just in a state of mind, and has been for the past year, where I'm doubting my own abilities... I got a taste of contact sparring a couple of months back with one of the instructors, but it just wasn't enough... So IF I move closer to the capital, chances are I'm going to visit a kyokushin dojo, since Oyama did base kyokushin on both shotokan and goju ryu. Or ashihara karate...
I dont think you can effectively learn a martial art without proper sparring, and a lot of dojos do some technique sparring, which is important, but just not enough of it - they did a lot more at the new dojo and if I stay in this area Im gonna continue there, but I believe that... karate has become too "spiritual" or recreational, not trying to undermine the value of that, if that's the karate people want, if they feel they obtain something good from it, and Im definitly not trying to undermine the value of kata, BUT I don't think kata is practised the right way, "traditional" karate dojos themselves (I feel) are undermining the value of kata, by turning it into a competitive dance, taking away the practical applications in order to make it look more proper.
Kata I believe is for learning to move between stances, and for perfecting the angles of the stances, making sure the way you stand and move as an individual (and not a scorecard) is the most physically effective, skeletal allignment and shiftning of weight and balance in order to perform the most powerful strike you can physically produce with the proportions of your own body, which cannot be done with decided measurements, people need to adapt so the length of their arms and legs, compared to torso and center of gravity works together - and it's 3 am where I am and I'm ranting away on a forum... My apologies, I just hope whomever reads this at the very least is entertained by my thoughts. In conclusion - I think there are more people who share my ideas and goals at a kyokushin or ashihara dojo, than I've met at a goju ryu dojo, at least in these parts...
A rival is your best friend, he makes you push yourself to your limit and beyond
-Unknown

What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others
- Confucius

Veni, vidi, vici
-Caesar
the urchin

Postby sascorp » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:47 pm

damn!
it has been a long time!
sorry to reply so late.. took me more than a year!
i was busy finishing my study. since last year july i am officially an alumni to my university and a registered dentist.
i started to go training more regularly now again under supervision of a sensei that has quite some experience and is willing to teach me again. after such long time of training by myself and very irregular visits to my home dojo my karate got weak of course.
but nonetheless, now i'm back.
i must say it is not too easy to fit work and training and girlfriend under one roof, but it's managable.
so how have things been going?
sascorp

Postby the urchin » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:11 pm

Almost two years now...

Well, I just finished my fourth semester in thai/southeastasian studies, I didn't get into japanese studies...

I can't remember if I've posted this before, but I wanted to use thai studies as a springboard and get into japanese studies, but I ended up staying, partially because it was interesting, but probably mostly due to the friends I made - which I dont know was a good idea... I am sorta having some doubts about that decision currently, not that I've had any falling outs with anybody, but with the uni closing down studies and changing stuff around and also that I never really planned on going into thai studies I just dont know if I wanna continue or try to get into japanese studies like I originally wanted to...

I am however going to Bangkok for a semester after summer, which I am incredibly excited about!
which also brings me to the martial artsy bits

Since I started uni I quit karate, partially because of my schedule, but I also just started to doubt it more and more - I have since then joined a historical european fencing club, where I do 17th century rapier (with and without a lefthand dagger) that is a lot of fun, getting to fence with proper steel swords (well, "proper" not sharp and stuff)
- I have also tried a bit muay thai again, but I couldn't make it work with the uni and fencing schedule.

Ideally I would do both fencing and muay thai, it really makes a lot of sense to me now - the training methods and so on - so while in Bangkok, although I'll have to take a break from fencing, I'll get plenty of time to get into muay thai and kick some ass there!

I am also incredibly behind on KSKM now... (I just randomly decided to take a look at the forum again for some reason)
-Unknown

- Confucius

Veni, vidi, vici
-Caesar
the urchin

Postby Oyama » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:01 pm

Glad to hear.....^^
It ain't wrong if you are doing something, that gives you satisfaction.
The roads we walk are strange.
I am in uni too. I study geology.
I still practice martial arts..... and this year I am going full throttle....
And Muay Thai is badass :D give it a try in Thailand :D
Oyama

Previous

Return to Mumblings & Musings